Sustainability is not just a buzzword, but a vital goal for businesses that want to thrive in the 21st century. Customers, investors, regulators, and society at large are increasingly demanding that companies take responsibility for their environmental, social and governance (ESG) impacts and performance. That’s why Cormack Packaging and our parent company TricorBraun, two of the leading providers of closures and packaging solutions in Australia and globally, are committed to environmental stewardship and continuous improvement.
We are proud to announce that we have maintained Silver status on the EcoVadis ESG global program, an independent and trusted assessment of our sustainability policies, practices and results. EcoVadis is the world’s most widely used platform for measuring and improving ESG performance across supply chains, covering four key themes: Environment, Labor & Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement. By participating in this program, we demonstrate our transparency and accountability to our customers, suppliers, employees and stakeholders and we are not stopping there. To learn more about our ESG roadmap click here.
We have also implemented a number of initiatives to reduce our environmental footprint, enhance our recyclability and support the circular economy. Here are some examples of what we are doing:
- We have removed Carbon Black from most of our dark colour pigments, as this material interferes with the optical sorting of plastics for recycling. By using alternative pigments, we make our products more compatible with the Material Recovery Facility (MeRF) recycling platforms.
- We have redesigned all the closures we have tooled since 2020 to make them at least 15% lighter in resin than the caps they are replacing. This reduces the amount of plastic we use and lowers our carbon emissions from transportation and manufacturing.
- We have eliminated the Talc filler from 60% of our Child Resistant caps, as talc is considered non-recyclable. This requires totally new tooling for each size inner and outer cap, but we are willing to invest in this change to improve our recyclability and meet the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) guidelines.
- We are progressively replacing our up to six of our oldest injection machines each year with new all-electric machines that use 50% less energy than the conventional hydraulic ones. This reduces our electricity consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, as well as improving our operational efficiency and product quality.
- We have developed our range of 10 sizes of Tamper Evident closures (TVL from 38 mm up to 110 mm) so that customers do not need shrink sleeves or us labels for tamper evidence. This eliminates the need for additional packaging materials that are often non-recyclable or difficult to remove.
- We have launched wedge seals on four of these TVL caps and are now developing our fifth size so that customers can eliminate the non-recyclable foil seals that are commonly used for liquid products. The wedge seals provide a secure seal that prevents leakage and contamination, while also being easy to open and reseal.
(TricorBraun EcoVadis 2022)
These are just some of the many initiatives we are active on to improve our sustainability performance and contribute to a more circular economy. We are constantly looking for new ways to innovate and collaborate with our customers, suppliers, and industry partners to create value and positive impact for all. We invite you to learn more about our sustainability journey and achievements by visiting our website or contacting us. We would love to hear from you and explore how we can work together to create a more sustainable future.
TALK TO A PACKAGING CONSULTANT
Whether you’re looking for a stock package or a groundbreaking custom design, TricorBraun’s proven process will guide your packaging decisions from napkin sketch all the way to the retail shelf.